Thursday 8 August 2013

Finding The Best Author Pages on Facebook, And Stealing Their Ideas.


Following on from my KOP post on how to create a Facebook author page, the next logical step is to find out who is doing it well, and then steal their ideas.

I openly admit that my author page is a work in progress. So, let's travel across the interwebs and find out who out there has some great ideas that can be pilfered.

Now, a lot of webpages out there confuse 'favourite authors' with 'good author page', so we need to try and get past the fact that we love these guys to find one with actual substance other than an already strong following. Not much use for those of us starting from scratch.

I've also found it really difficult to locate people's favourite pages, as if you do a good search there are thousands of articles telling you how to make an author page, but not much looking at some of the best examples out there. But I have done my best. 


The Hunger Games:

As much as I hate to admit it, the first great page I came across was for The Hunger Games, because of it's fantastic use of audience participation. But let's break it down a bit further.

Apps: across the top it has photos (not so interesting to me), then 'Read the Book', which if they are offering a free version would be quite interesting. So I click on it and as the page loads, a pop-up (or skin) appears with a giant picture of the book's cover and "Exclusive access to giveways, videos, quizzes, gifts, and more!" plus the social proof that 4million other people (ie. teenage girls) have already liked it. And I can click on the like button just there and be part of all the fun!
Clever, huh? First of all, it didn't come up too early, before I had shown any interest in the page. Then, it waited until I wanted something (free copy of the book), and showed me I could get even more just by clicking 'like'. Finally, it won't actually let me get to the free book unless I do click like (something quite small and effortless, but I'm not actually going to do it because I don't support the view of writing presented in the third book).

Status Updates: Rather than just using their status updates to try and sell the book, they focus very heavily on audience participation with daily questions and quizzes. One particularly clever one (in that it allows the audience to talk about themselves, always a good move) is the update:

“Yesterday we asked you what ‪#‎Finnick‬ Odair’s weapon of choice was now we want to know, what would be YOUR weapon of choice be in the arena?”

Unsurprisingly, even though it was posted only a few days ago, it has 1,455 comments. 


Mary DeMuth

This is actually an author I've never heard about (she appears to be an American Christian author). However, I've given her second place for really focusing on her brand on her Facebook page. The page doesn't appear to deviate into 'what my kid had for breakfast this morning', but offers continued support and tips on her main areas of spiritual healing. Further, she is open and vulnerable to her audience, asking for prayer as well as offering it. She also takes the time to reply to the comments on her page, so there is a real sense of conversation. This is a really good use of Facebook for developing dedicated fans.


Steven King:

This page is interesting not just because he's Steven King and has a trillion books out there and millions of fans. What's interesting is that this facebook page is not actually managed by King at all, but by the publishers. Therefore, it is a great example of how to get interaction when you personally aren't interacting. 
It is made up of a lot of quotes from the books with photos to get people thinking. It also includes news articles and other tidbits about King or related to his books to give it a feel that you are learning more about the man.


And Just To Finish Off:
There are a lot of pages about how to write a great author facebook page. So, going through them I've just pulled out some of the status updates which I think are great and can be used by any of us:

From Novel Publicity:

Hello, likers of this Facebook page. What are you doing today? Are you reading anything you think I might enjoy?

Did you know that the protagonist in my first novel eats PlayDoh when he thinks no one is looking? Uh-oh, his love interest just found out! (Or some other fun and intriguing factoid from your novel or WIP)
 
I don’t want to talk about books today. Let’s talk about… Dogs! I have a super rambunctious and totally adorable Golden Retriever puppy named Polo. Any other dog people out there? Tell me about your pooch. We can compare notes! 

From Author Media:


Use a 'fill in the blank' status update.




Facebook engagment


Great advice from an interview with Miles Daniels:

Think of it as an 80/20 rule. 80 percent of your wall postings should add value and build loyalty with your fans. Share tidbits, interesting ideas, free writing tips, and other no-strings-attached content. Use the other 20 percent to promote yourself and your book. Include your book signings under events. Post reviews and articles as links. Add pictures of you and your fans. 

I know that there must be other great Facebook Pages out there, but it is really hard to find them. Anyone got any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment